#IndieBusiness Social Network

Enjoy Your Life! Build Your Business! Have Your Way!

Hi Indies,

I purchased 8 oz bottles for my products.  When bottling them, I see that this bottle will only hold 7 oz in weight of my lotions, but the same bottle will hold 8 .5 oz in weight of my liquid body wash.  Has any one had this issue, and how do you label it on your products, by weight or volume.  I would think this would be a question that may come up from customers since the bottles are the same and the lotion and body washes will be sold as packaged items, but the amount within the bottles will be different due to the product within it. 

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Tieast

you can put packaged by weight on your lotions & put fl for fluid before ounces on your liquids.
one easy trick is to think that popcorn & cotton candy and such things like that are sold by volume because they are so light and airy, theres no feasible way they could be sold by weight.
and to not throw it off too much dont put the extra .5 in with the body wash

hope that helps
Kia
Thanks Kia! It makes perfect sense. I don't know where my brain was at the time, but I've seen this method done plenty of times and I know I even read about it in something that had to do with packaging, but for the life of me, I could not remember this until you mentioned it.

Thanks so much. That's what happens when your trying to do everything yourself.
So would you say "4 fl oz" for a whipped shea body butter, or would you say net wt 1.5 oz? My 4 oz jar holds net weight of 1.5 oz of whipped butter but it's like popcorn in that a small amount of weight takes up a large volume of space. Since it's its "solid" at room temperature, but liquid at 76 degrees it's one of those things I'm not sure of. Any help on this would be great!

Kathy
so glad i could help Tieast.

Kathy whipped shea butter is not a fluid....so you would still put 4 oz......wait then again.....

unless when your packagin it, your pouring it in as a liquid, then it would be 4fl oz, and you would have to measure it with a scale so that you not just filling and loosing money.
ok this may seem funny or be lengthy to explain without confusing everyone including me...

if you are pouring it in package as liquid, you would have to decide first which way you want quantify it.(bare with me since i know nothing about your product). ex. if you pour in 4 fluid oz, but it hardens into 8 ounces - you would need to decide what your end product size would be. keeping with this ex. if you do it this way you will be GIVING your customers double the product for the same money. make sense?

but if when you pour the opposite happens, products decreases, you must compensate.

- ok im reading your question again, i think i might have taken on us that journey for no reason. in trying to explain properly i forgot the heart of the question.. :D

YES, you would label it 4oz (the container remains its size no matter what), and you would state that it was packaged by volume not weight. you could put the net weight equivalent, like 4 oz (1.5 oz nt weight) see if your state requires that, if not leave it out as it a big difference psychologically to the consumer to really get less than half of the product theyre paying for.

ok this concludes our trip, no round trip tickets availble. thank you for riding. lol

hope this helps
Kia
Thanks again Kia. Now, I know you went on a journey with your answer, but I enjoyed the trip. Only question I have is, is there a packaging term for volume?
eeeeeewwww i so dont like you for this question!!!!!!
OOOOOOO. i knew it was this buuuuuut i just needed to confirm.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/weight2volume

but with your products you would still just say packaged weight not volume AND you most likely will never need to use the volume expressive. because the labeling is still indicative of the packaging 2oz, 4oz or 32 oz, its either volume or weight....still ounces though. make sense?
You are very funny!, But it does make sense too. I know I will be adding to my line soon, and wanted to have the answer to that in case what I add, brings about this issue as well, but you've now answered it for me.

Thanks Kia. It's been informative and fun!
Net Weight by Volume. Put your jar or bottle on a scale and fill to your normal fill line. The weight of the water is your Net Weight by Volume. The industry standard is water weight in the volume of the jar or bottle. I shorten by "Net wt by Vol." to save space on my labels.
Thank you for that Gretchen. I will remember that.
Hi Kia, Thanks so much for all the information! I've seen other items "packaged by weight not by volume" but haven't seen the opposite, "packaged by volume not by weight". Your trip was very fun to be on!

Kathy

RSS

Visit Our Sponsors

Nature's Garden CandlesTKB TradingCustom Kraft Boxes

Meet Donna Maria!

Donna Maria is the founder and CEO of the Indie Business Network. Connect at dM's Profile Pageblog, iTunes, FaceBook, and on Twitter.

Get Product Liability Insurance!

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by dM, CEO.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service