#IndieBusiness Social Network

Enjoy Your Life! Build Your Business! Have Your Way!

Full disclosure:  I am seeking permission to ditch my Etsy shop!

I have a sad, neglected Etsy shop!  I keep thinking, "I gotta ditch Etsy - I'm stretched too thin."  But every time I go to do so, I panic!  I have a great website, I'm getting orders there, working facebook, a blog and now a newsletter.  I just can't bring myself to do the work required to get noticed on Etsy.  It seems like a no-brainer: ditch Etsy! 

What are your experiences on Etsy?  How many of you are working a website and an Etsy shop at the same time?  Is it worth it?  Please share your thoughts and opinions!

Views: 240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Katie,

I've worked with and spoken with many entrepreneurs who say the same thing. They love etsy but in order to make it work, you have to do a lot of maintenance. My quick suggestion - if you can hire someone to maintain your etsy for you and you break even on the sales, it's worth it. Also, even if you don't re-list regularly, as long as the site looks nice and your product photos are nice, there's no reason do delete the site. It can't hurt for branding -- so long as it doesn't look like a neglected ghost town.

I don't know if there are services out there that do this (there should be, and if there aren't it's a great niche for anyone looking to start a business!) If you don't hire someone, but you still want to keep the site just for branding purposes, perhaps you could calendar a once a month re-list activity or spend 30 minutes every two weeks on the site, just to make sure it's up to date and you answer any emails there.

But if you choose this minimal maintenance option, "sad and neglected" will not help, it will hurt your brand. So there's that ...

At the end of the day, you have a business decision to make -- hopefully this gives you some things to think about as you do that.

This thread about Etsy has a lot of tips, experiences and insights:

http://indiebeauty.com/forum/topics/etsy-shops

Hope this helps!

dM

I guess the question would be, are you getting sales on Etsy?  If you're trickling in enough in sales to warrant the posting fees, then I'd keep it.  Otherwise, you're investing those fees and your valuable time in something that's not netting you any positive returns.  It's because of the maintenance that I skipped Etsy and went straight to my own site.  If you want another selling platform, you could consider Payvment with your FB page.

I agree with dM that a business that updates Etsy pages would be a great niche business.  The best part is, it's something that could be done all online or by phone, so one person or company could literally provide this service nation- and world-wide from anywhere in the world.

~Sara

RSS

Visit Our Sponsors

Nature's Garden CandlesTKB TradingCustom Kraft Boxes

Meet Donna Maria!

Donna Maria is the founder and CEO of the Indie Business Network. Connect at dM's Profile Pageblog, iTunes, FaceBook, and on Twitter.

Get Product Liability Insurance!

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by dM, CEO.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service