#IndieBusiness Social Network

Enjoy Your Life! Build Your Business! Have Your Way!

How to package shea butter that doubled in volume, but not weight?

Hi, hope everyone is making the most of their day.

I have a question that perhaps someone could help me with.

I made some shea body butter and it doubled in volume (it was supposed to be 8 ounces, but when finished, was 16 ounces).

So, do I put it in a 16 ounce jar and label it 8 ounces? It doubled in volume but not in weight.

Anyone ever experienced that?

Views: 667

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Barbara.  Yes, if you're making a whipped body butter or something similar, it will increase in volume but not in weight. You can choose to package it in a larger jar or in a smaller one, whichever you choose, but the label will need to read the actual weight of the product.  

For instance, if you want to sell your body butter in a 16 oz. jar, then you'd need to do the following:

1) Tare your scale - turn on your scale. Put the empty 16 oz jar onto the scale and press 'tare'. This will zero out the scale (acting as though the jar on the scale doesn't weigh anything). 

2) Put the body butter into the jar.

3) Put the full jar (without the lid) back onto the scale and read the weight.  This is your net weight (the amount of actual product in the container, not including the packaging).  The net weight is what needs to go on your label.

Hope this makes sense. If not, let me know and I can try to explain it in another way.

Best,

Alyssa

It makes lots of sense, thank you Alyssa. I had a feeling that was the answer, but wanted to confirm.Thanks for answering so quickly.

Barbara, this happened to me and I had to completely change my packaging. This was because I used a different shea butter that is super light but grows when I whip it.

Glad you were able to get an answer here.

Melissa

The opposite also happens when filling bottles.  Example:  The bottle is designed to hold 4, 8, or 16 ounces, but once filled the bottles may contain 5 ounces , 9 ounces, or 17 ounces (weight) of product.  This has thrown me way off when calculating formulas when filling very large orders.  I find it best to know how much product actually fits into the container (by weight) before I begin to manufacture entire batches of the product. 

Best wishes,

Mary

Mary, do you fill your lotions by weight?  I always us fluid oz. because it's a liquid and in a bottle. It usually will weigh more than it will be in fluid measurement (viscocity thing). I've found that most bottles will hold a tad more than the size listing. So in an 8 oz bottle I may have 8.75 fl oz (or whatever) 

Ginger, I use fluid ounces when filling bottles, not weight.  The weight varies by viscosity, as you said.  I hope that clarifies what I was trying to say. 

Thanks Mary.  Clarified well and such good info.

RSS

Visit Our Sponsors

Nature's Garden CandlesCustom Kraft Boxes

Meet Donna Maria!

Donna Maria is the founder and CEO of the Indie Business Network. Connect at dM's Profile Pageblog, iTunes, FaceBook, and on Twitter.

Get Product Insurance!

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by dM, CEO.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service