#IndieBusiness Social Network

Enjoy Your Life! Build Your Business! Have Your Way!


Recently I finalized several cosmetic products and I am ready to start selling them.

I realize that I have to register LLC and get a liability insurance.

My question is – what else do I need? I have heard about tax id numbers, do I need to get it and how?

Is there anything else I need get to be legal?


Thanks so much in advance.



Views: 421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, you would have to get a EIN number if you plan on getting a LLC. It is kinda like a social security number for your business. This EIN is your permanent number and can be used immediately for most of your business needs, including opening a bank account, applying for business licenses, and filing a tax return by mail. Here is the link. http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html to apply online. I know in NY you have to also apply to nys dept of tax and finance to receive a certificate to collect sales tax. I hope this was of some help.

Best wishes
Thank you very much, this is so helpful!
I am in New York too.
No problem. Since you are from NY. Here is the link for the nys tax and finance. http://www.nys-opal.com/
Thank you so much, Yolanda! This link is exactly what I was needed....
Congratulations! I too am just about to 'open' online. I chose to use my SSN as a sole proprietor for now until I grow some. It's easier for now. I am going to join the Indie business network and get insurance through here; it's really reasonable. Here in Calif. I needed to apply locally for a sellers permit also. You might check into that. Good luck!
Congratulations to you too! Thank you for your reply.
I was debating between sole proprietor and LLC. It does seem easier to have a sole proprietorship business and I was going to get that but some of my friends advised to form an LLC. The main argument was if something happens, you are responsible 100% for everything up to the point of going to jail :) This is a huge exaggeration, of course.
Anyway, I guess I have to think more about this.
I will get my insurance through Indie too.
I think it is definitely better to take the extra time and go for the LLC; I plan on switching to that and it probably would have been easier in the long run. That's why i'm going to make sure I get the liability insurance!
Congrats!!! I hope everything works out well for you.
Thank you!
LLC, FEIN #, State Sales Tax permit, Insurance (property, Business interruption and Product Liability) for starters.. I wish you the BEST! I'm going through this with you! :)
Thank you so much, Barbara. This list is exactly what I was looking for.
Hi Barbara,

I also have a small bath and bosy products company and m lloking for liability insurance. Do you have any suuestions on where to go?

Hope to hear from you,



Visit Our Sponsors

 Nature's Garden CandlesTKB TradingCustom Kraft Boxes

Meet Donna Maria!

Donna Maria is the founder and CEO of the Indie Business Network. Connect at dM's Profile Pageblog, iTunes, FaceBook, and on Twitter.

Get Product Liability Insurance!



© 2014   Created by dM, CEO.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service