#IndieBusiness Social Network

Enjoy Your Life! Build Your Business! Have Your Way!

OK, I'm gullible.  Just in case any of you are too I thought I'd share my experience.

I got a call from Linda Galen's assistant saying how they would like to feature my stuff on The Journal with Joan Lunden in an upcoming natural products segment and could I call Linda Galen the lead producer. I did and after playing phone tag for a while we got down to it. She told me how my website and my story was really fascinating and how it would be perfect for this segment and how it was going to be viewed by 60 million people on PBS and then be shown for one year in limited markets and blah blah blah on lifetime and oxygen and cnbc. Then she lets me know that I would have to help with production costs and that would be $26,400 oh and can you overnight your complete product line and we'll have to decide by Monday.

I told her I needed to think about and talk to some people before I could decide (this is not the kind of money we have but I could maybe, just maybe borrow that kind of money if it was a good business investment)

Then I had to run out and do errands while my mind is churning about scaling up and stuff. When I got home I googled it and sure enough it's a scam. But not before I overnighted her my whole product line....errghh I'm a sucker!

here's a link to the scam  http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100924/12150911158/world-progres...

here's a link to their website http://thejournalol.com/

Now you know!

All the best,

Nieves

Tags: Joan, Journal, London, PBS, Scam., The, with

Views: 644

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good Morning, Nieves! All the best to you, too!

Thank you for the link, and for notifying fellow Indie's of the scam.  I appreciate it.  You are no "sucker" you are a smart business person for Googling!!!!

First, HUGS to you, Nieves!  I happens and that is ok. DON"T beat yourself up and don't consider yourself a sucker. Look at it this way...lesson learned!  You may have lost a few products but you didn't give the huge amount of money for production.  That was a dodged bullet thanks to you googling.  I think we all would probably be excited and consider the proposal if it were presented and the name dropping thing was happening.  We all look for that "big break". 

Thanks for the head-up.  I for one have never heard of this one.

Ginger in Chattanooga

Hi Nieves,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Earlier this year I did get a call and a phone interview with the same people but wasn't asked for money or to send my product line. Maybe they are stepping up their game, I don't know. This just proves we wear one more hat as small business owner..Private Investigator. 

Be well,

Oh, I'm sorry you lost the samples.  But thank goodness you checked into it before doing any more!
Thank you for sharing Nieves! Last week the same thing happened to my sister and I. We did the same thing you did wondering how they found us, and because the budget would not allow for it, set it aside. After we said "no" the same woman you named actually called back and said if we were ever in a position to consider it in the future, she would love to talk to us again. Imagine! Now I may be gullible, however, here is a question. If a producer really wanted to do a story on a company, would the producer not pay the company for their interview and time?
That is what I was thinking too Judy. I think the cost would be paid for by the producer because it is their show and they are looking to have guests on their show. Just didn't sound right to me that they would expect a small business to take on that cost.
Just thinking but perhaps the DA in the district where you sent the samples or nearby police should be made aware of this?  The samples are small time but cheating people out of $26 k is serious illegal activity.  They may already have an investigation under way...Also the fact that multiple people on this same site have received the same call from the same woman kinda makes me wonder if they are using this site for contacts to start with.  I may have just watched too many episodes of law and order...just seems very coincidental.

My sister reported them to PBS giving the name number and extension of the woman who contacted her twice.

She also is considering reporting them to the Attorney General. 

Well, it is nice to have friends at IBN to know and be able to share our experiences. Have a nice weekend everyone

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses! It's great to have a group of peers to vent to/with.

All the best to all of you!

Just want to give you a BIG Hug.  It's OK to sit on your pitty pot for a little bit, then pick your self up and keep going. I understand this type of situation. Many of your friends who are not in a small business journey really do not understand how hard you are working at this.  Stay connected and vent. We (Indies) understand.  No more tears, get up and keep going. Sometimes it is hard to put that one foot in front of the other, but you are a Dynamic woman with a Gift. Never forget that. Mary
Just want to give you a BIG Hug.  It's OK to sit on your pitty pot for a little bit, then pick your self up and keep going. I understand this type of situation. Many of your friends who are not in a small business journey really do not understand how hard you are working at this.  Stay connected and vent. We (Indies) understand.  No more tears, get up and keep going. Sometimes it is hard to put that one foot in front of the other, but you are a Dynamic woman with a Gift. Never forget that. Mary

Hello!

This has happened to me many times. Whenever you get an inquiry like this, the first thing you MUST do is cut to the chase. Say something like,

"OK, if I decide to do this with you, will I have to sign a contract?"

The answer will be "yes."

They you say,

"Oh, super! Why don't you email me the contract and then based on that, I can let you know if I want to move forward and send you samples. Let me give you my email address." Do you have a pen?"

If they try to talk you out of looking at their contact, there's your first warning sign. Heed it.

Wish them a happy day and say adios.

Move on with your dream and let them try to figure out an honest way to make money.

If they do send you a contact, look immediately for the part where it says what your obligations are. Bingo!

Then look for the part where they put all those promises about PBS and millions of eye balls in writing. Don't see it? Bingo! That's your second warning sign.

Spend all of 5 minutes assessing the opportunity, and then either trash it or investigate further. But this way, you know what your obligations are before you spend much time and before you send any products to this type of pond scum.

Hope this helps.

dM

RSS

Visit Our Sponsors

Nature's Garden CandlesCustom Kraft Boxes

Meet Donna Maria!

Donna Maria is the founder and CEO of the Indie Business Network. Connect at dM's Profile Pageblog, iTunes, FaceBook, and on Twitter.

Get Product Insurance!

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by dM, CEO.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service