#IndieBusiness Social Network

Enjoy Your Life! Build Your Business! Have Your Way!

Okay,

So I am working on my lables and I know we have to label ingredients in descending order from high to low. My question is, where do you find the technical terms needed for the lables or can I can for example just say Un-refrined Shea butter, Grape Seed oil and etc? If someone can give me an example that would be so helpful! Also, I see that you have to put your address on the label, Im making my products from home so I was wondering is it okay that I put my PO Box  on there instead of my personal home address?

Views: 153

Replies to This Discussion

You use INCI names for each ingredient. You can also include the common name after the INCI name. The company you bought your ingredients from should have the INCI listed in the discription of the ingredient. It also should be on the MSDS sheet for each ingredient.
Dia,

For INCI information (the naming system required to be used for your labels), you can use this free resource: http://www.specialchem4cosmetics.com/services/inci/index.aspx

For Label Requirements, see the FDA website: http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/CosmeticLabelingLabelClaims/CosmeticLa...

To answer your question (from the FDA website):

"The name and place of business of the firm marketing the product must be stated on an information panel of the label (21 CFR 701.12). The address must state the street address, city, state, and zip code. If a firm is listed in a current city or telephone directory, the street address may be omitted. If the distributor is not the manufacturer or packer, this fact must be stated on the label by the qualifying phrase "Manufactured for ......" or "Distributed by ......" or similar, appropriate wording."
And don't forget, "Cosmetic firms are responsible for substantiating the safety of their products and ingredients before marketing. Failure to adequately substantiate the safety of a cosmetic product or its ingredients prior to marketing causes the product to be misbranded unless the following warning statement appears conspicuously on the principal display panel of the product's label: "Warning--The safety of this product has not been determined." (21 CFR 740.10)"
I have seen P.O box addresses on labels many times. Sometimes to make it easier I get the names of the ingredients from the supplier I purchased them from (generally just from the website), but you want people to feel confident about your product so its important to show them how to reach you- website or phone ie. if they have a question... Just some food for thought.
g
Good Luck
leiann
Just because other people use a PO Box doesn't make it legal. The FDA website clearly states that a street address is required unless you are listed in the yellow pages with a full street address.
Just because other people use a PO Box doesn't make it legal. The FDA website clearly states that a street address is required unless you are listed in the yellow pages with a full street address.br />
Well said! I had a woman make an appointment to sell her cosmetics at the store where I now work and she had no contact information, no weight or volume, and common language instead of INCI terms; in addition to making plenty of medical claims referring to psoriasis and eczema, and included ingredients that don't even exist like "vanilla essentiual oil" -- there was more wrong with her labeling than right, and she says her products healed people skin disorders and are very popular on ETSY. Just because others do it, does not mean it is right!!
Agreed. The only way to be absolutely sure your label is correct is to go to the source! The FDA website is a fantastic resource and several books have been written on the topic which break the law down into easy to comprehend language.
I would like to thank everyone for there reply and the website suggestions. My products have been tried and tested by my loving family and friends and so far so good nothing has happend. The only reason I suggested a PO Box is because I am manufactoring my products from my home and having my home address out there just doesn't sit right with me. I'll do it if I must but I would perfer to use my PO Box for my business.
I am with you Dia, I am very uneasy with having my home address on anything and my personal information to me is of utmost security. I wonder if listing a website would suffice if you are primarily doing business by way of the internet.
It doesn't matter how you are doing business, the law is clear. You must list a street address unless your business is listed in the yellow pages with a full address.

The FDA regulations are clearly stated on the FDA website here: http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/CosmeticLabelingLabelClaims/default.htm
Could you please clarify your understanding of Yellow Pages? These days, the Yellow Pages are online as well as in paper copy. Just look at the "Dex Knows" commercials, to see that you can find someone multiple ways. I have a Yellow Pages.com listing, but not a Yellow Pages book listing. Hopefully the FDA will be updating their definition of local listing/yellow page listing to match the current way people do business, not the way it was done in the late 1900's. I also do not wish to have my home address listed on my labels, so just curious as to if my online listing plus my website, city, state and zip are sufficient.

Thanks!
"§ 701.12 Name and place of business of manufacturer, packer, or distributor.

(a) The label of a cosmetic in package form shall specify conspicuously the name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor.

(b) The requirement for declaration of the name of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor shall be deemed to be satisfied in the case of a corporation only by the actual corporate name, which may be preceded or followed by the name of the particular division of the corporation. Abbreviations for “Company,” “Incorporated,” etc., may be used and “The” may be omitted. In the case of an individual, partnership, or association, the name under which the business is conducted shall be used.

(c) Where the cosmetic is not manufactured by the person whose name appears on the label, the name shall be qualified by a phrase that reveals the connection such person has with such cosmetic; such as, “Manufactured for _______”, “Distributed by ________”, or any other wording that expresses the facts.

(d) The statement of the place of business shall include the street address, city, State, and ZIP Code; however, the street address may be omitted if it is shown in a current city directory or telephone directory. The requirement for inclusion of the ZIP Code shall apply only to consumer commodity labels developed or revised after the effective date of this section. In the case of nonconsumer packages, the ZIP Code shall appear either on the label or the labeling (including the invoice).

(e) If a person manufactures, packs, or distributes a cosmetic at a place other than his principal place of business, the label may state the principal place of business in lieu of the actual place where such cosmetic was manufactured or packed or is to be distributed, unless such statement would be misleading."

Seems pretty clear to me that the requirement is a listing in a paper directory. If in doubt, you should contact the FDA for clarification to be sure you are in compliance. (1-888-INFO-FDA)

RSS

Visit Our Sponsors

Nature's Garden CandlesTKB TradingCustom Kraft Boxes

Meet Donna Maria!

Donna Maria is the founder and CEO of the Indie Business Network. Connect at dM's Profile Pageblog, iTunes, FaceBook, and on Twitter.

Get Product Liability Insurance!

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by dM, CEO.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service